BEng Aviation Engineering
This specialist degree programme is aimed at those students who wish to undertake senior engineering roles within the operational side of the aviation industry, but who also retain an interest in flying. The engineering content is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
The course runs alongside the Pilot Studies course, replacing flying training with greater design content, making this particularly suitable for anybody aiming for a professional engineering career, but not in a flying role.
Accordingly, the programme integrates basic flight principles and the opportunity to train on a flight simulator with a solid grounding in general engineering and a background in management and operations. The programme will draw on the close proximity of Heathrow and the other London airports and, on completion, graduates will be equipped to follow careers within the aviation industry.
- Fundamentals of Solid Body Mechanics
- Fundamentals of Thermofluids
- Analytical Methods and Skills
- Aircraft Ground Theory and Design Project
- Engineering Materials, Manufacturing and Electrical Machines
- Aerospace Laboratories, Technical Drawing and Workshop Experience
- Solid Body Mechanics
- Performance and Control of Aircraft
- Principles of Aircraft Design
- Professional Engineering Applications and Practice
- Major Individual Project
- Flight Testing and Airport Environment and Design
- Propulsion Systems, Aircraft Structures and Materials
- Professional Engineering Practice
Flying, for some reason, has never been my favorite thing, but after taking some aviation classes and reading about it and learning about it… They’ve been doing this for over a hundred years, they’ve been to the moon and back; they kind of have a good system going here.
Aviation Engineering graduates can enter almost any professional aerospace career, for example as an aeronautical engineer, commercial or military pilot, air traffic controller, aeronautical researcher.
Graduates have gone on to work for:
- the RAF
- British Airways
- BAE Systems
- Transport for London
Entry Requirements (International Students)
- Secondary School Diploma Overall Grade 70% over 100%.
- English Language Requirements: IELTS 6.0 (min 5.5 in all bands)
- 2 Academic Reference Letters
- Statement of Purpose (Motivation Letter)
- Bachelor in Aviation Engineering
- £ 17,500 per year
- 3 years
- London Campus
- Language Requirement: IELTS 6.0
- January - September