Research students are welcomed to Brunel as valued members of our thriving, research-intensive community. A research degree provides the opportunity to investigate a topic in depth, and contribute new knowledge to your discipline.
A PhD involves demonstrating through original research or other advanced scholarship the creation and interpretation of new knowledge, a systematic acquisition and understanding of a substantial body of knowledge at the forefront of an academic discipline or professional practice, the ability to conceptualise, design and implement a project for the general of new knowledge, applications or understanding at the forefront of the discipline.
Physiotherapy offers a multi-stranded research programme exploring the development and evaluation of rehabilitation strategies, the environments in which they can be used and the lived experience of patients across a broad spectrum of acute and long term conditions. This includes the whole rehabilitation pathway and beyond, aiming to explore and promote the best in evidence based practice. Physiotherapy at Brunel has a large team of 30 academics who are actively involved in research across a wide range of clinical specialties. The academic team has internationally renowned expertise in cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal and neurological health and rehabilitation and in quantitative, qualitative and mixed research methodologies. The Brunel has an established national and international profile in terms of relationships with health, government, professional and research funding bodies to support collaborative research. The academic team has extensive clinical expertise and retains strong collaborative links with several key London hospitals and NHS trusts.
Applicants are welcome to contact us about their own specialist topics and projects. However we particularly welcome proposals on :
- The effects of anodal transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) on recovery of upper limb motor function in incomplete spinal cord injury
- The success of self-management post stroke
- Developing the work of a member of staff in the Division
—- NOT AVAILABLE —-
The physiotherapists are a real asset… we don’t have any hierarchy or boundaries.
Entry Requirements (International Students)
- Bachelor Degree Diploma GPA 70% over 100%.
- Masters Degree Diploma GPA 70% over 100%.
- English Language Requirements: IELTS 7.0 (min 6.5 in all bands)
- 2 Academic Reference Letters
- Statement of Purpose (Motivation Letter)
- PhD Dissertation Proposal
- Doctorate in Physiotherapy
- £ 17,500 per year
- 3 years
- London Campus
- Language Requirement: IELTS 7.0
- January - September